Number of tourists surpasses one million
The number of tourists reported in Q1 of this year is larger than the one reported in the same period last year. Thus, the number of tourists grew by 13.2 percent to 1.12 million during the aforementioned period. Nevertheless, according to the National Statistics Institute (INS), the number of nights booked in tourism accommodation establishments grew by just 12 percent to 2.29 million.
In what concerns the tourists' countries of origin, 78.1 percent of them were resident tourists, while the remaining 21.9 percent were non-resident tourists, these shares being similar to the ones reported in the same period last year.
Hotel accommodations grew by 14.3 percent to 77.1 percent of total accommodations. At the same time, the nights booked by resident tourists in tourism accommodation establishments represented 77.9 percent of the total in Q1, while the ones booked by non-resident tourists represented 22.1 percent.
The overall occupancy rate stood at 18.4 percent, up by 1.4 percent compared to the same period last year. The hotel and motel occupancy rates stood at 21.7 percent and 14.9 percent respectively.
The arrivals of non-resident visitors numbered 1.381 million in Q1, down by 3.2 percent compared to January-March 2010. Most of them came from European countries (95.4 percent). 59.8 percent of the total non-resident tourists to Romania came from EU member states, with most of them coming from Hungary (37.6 percent), Bulgaria (21 percent), Italy (8.5 percent), Germany (7.6 percent) and Austria (3.9 percent).
Fewer Romanian travelers abroad
The number of Romanian travelers abroad dropped by 3.8 percent to 2.346 million in Q1 of 2011 compared to the same period last year. 71.7 percent of them chose to travel by road.
The number of tourists reported in March grew by 12.3 percent compared to the same month last year to 407,700. Resident tourists represented 76.6 percent of them, while non-resident tourists represented 23.4 percent. Hotel accommodations grew by 15.6 percent to 78.9 percent of total accommodations. The number of nights booked in tourism accommodation establishments grew by 8.9 percent to 844,200 compared to the same month last year. The nights booked by resident tourists represented 76.9 percent of the total, while those booked by non-resident tourists represented 23.1 percent. The overall occupancy rate stood at 19.5 percent, up by 1.3 percent. The hotel and inn occupancy rates stood at 23.6 percent and 19.2 percent respectively.
Published on 04.05.2011
Comment this article